The Main objective of the Block Watch Society of BC is to partner with communities to build safer neighborhoods by encouraging residents to take a proactive approach to crime prevention and safety. Through education on target hardening, property marking and reporting suspicious activity Block Watch provides a means for the community to take responsibility for its own safety by reducing the opportunity for crime.
Block Watch Member programs operate under the mandate of the Block Watch Society who in turn provide:
- Support, training, mentoring and materials to police agencies & community programs.
- Coordinate the link of community programs to each other.
- Provide ongoing training and sharing of best practices.
- Work with police agencies to assist with problem solving, suggesting and supporting strategies for positive change.
- Focus on reducing the risk of property crime – particularly residential and auto crimes.
Block Watch operates through grants from the Ministry of Justice and donations.