BLOCK WATCH PROPERTY LOG
The Block Watch Society has created a fillable form which will help you document your property. This will increase the chance of having your property returned to you if it is ever stolen, or goes missing.
It takes only seconds for something to be stolen.
- Ensure your property is secured with an appropriate locking device that’s in good working order
- Close your garage door if you are not working where you can see it
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle
Consider engraving your property, or marking it with a permanent identifier. Some of the local Community Policing Centres offer engraving services, and some may allow you to sign them out to take home and mark your personal property.
- Ensure the marking is permanent!
- Engrave your B.C. driver’s license or B.C. Identification Card number
Take photos or videos of items which are hard to mark such as jewelery, art, family heirlooms and antiques. Take a picture of yourself with them, and save them to a place which is accessible.
Record your property/purchases on paper or on an electronic spreadsheet. We have included a fillable spreadsheet on the next page for you to use. You can also download a similar form from blockwatch.com
Record the following information
- Serial number
- Any identifying or unique marks
Save the information in multiple locations which is easily accessible (make sure you retain a hard copy) If larger items don’t have serial numbers, then consider engraving your DL number or government issued ID number, or even your phone number.
If your property is stolen or missing please report it. If it’s ever recovered in a crime, police will then be able to contact you and return it.